Boston Legal之结案陈词系列(一)
Boston Legal之结案陈词系列(一)
注意:
本文根据Boston legal第2季第2集网上共享中英字幕收集、整理。
案情:
一个年轻女子的老迈丈夫死了,死于硝化甘油+红酒,而年轻的妻子又是遗产继承人,又有外遇,所以她理所当然的被认为是凶手。而这个女子又是那么的美丽惊艳,以至于所有的外人都认为她是为了钱才跟老头结婚,而又是为了钱谋杀了丈夫。
这个案子,ALAN可遇上不少的麻烦:证据不利、证人不利、法官不利,再加上他确切地认为当事人是无罪的,而只是这个女人让人嫉妒而让生恨。
主审法官:
Judge Harvey Cooper(超像Bush,不是吗?^_^)

当事人:
Kelly Nolan(即使官司赢了,也还是不笑,果然够酷!怪不得Denny老调戏她!)

Alan Shore的结案陈词(中英文对照)
Why are we here?
我们在这里干什么?
Certainly not because of evidence. There isn’t any.
当然不是因为证据确凿。根本就没有证据。
Any witnesses see my client give her husband viagra?
有人看到我的当事人给她丈夫服用伟哥了吗?
Anybody see her put nitroglycerine into his wine?
有人看见她把硝化甘油倒进他的酒里了吗?
No, we’re being asked to assume that evil.
没有,我们只是被要求来假定这种罪恶的行为。
Well, why can’t we impute the same sinister mentality to the deceased?
那好,我们为什么不能来假定死者本身的行为带有恶意呢?
Because people just don’t take their own lives?
因为人们不会自杀?
We have over a million suicides across the globe every year, a million.
全球每年有超过一百万的人自杀,一百万!
Suicide is a much more common and therefore plausible thing than murder,
自杀比谋杀更常见和被接受,
so why are we here?
那么我们在这里干什么?
Because Kelly Nolan had a blank expression on her face when the police arrived at the scene?
因为警察到达现场的时候Kelly Nolan一副毫无表情的面孔?
She was in shock, for God’s sake. Her huand had just died right before her eyes.
看在上帝的份上,她当时大受打击啊!她的丈夫就在她眼前死去。
Fingerprints on the wineglass?
酒杯上的指纹?
It was her house. She was having wine with her husband. Is it so inconceivable that she would touch his glass?
那可是她家。她曾和丈夫一起喝酒。你能想象她不会接触到他的酒杯吗?
And if she were guilty,
而如果是她做的,
don’t you think she would have wiped the glass clean or washed it,so the nitro wouldn’t have been detected?
你们不认为她会把杯子抹干净或者洗干净,以使硝化甘油不会被检测出来?
Why are we here?
我们在这里干什么?
Because her husband allegedly threatened to cut her out of his will two days before?
因为她的丈夫在两天前威胁要把她从遗嘱中移去?
According to Kelly, that never happened.
Kelly说,这从来没有发生过。
The housekeeper says it did, but this is a witness who admittedly loathed my client, who admittedly concealed information From me so that she could do more damage at trial.
是管家说的,但这个证人十分厌恶我的当事人,以至于对我隐瞒了信息,从而使她可以在庭上获得更有破坏力的效果。
She has a bias, and the prosecution offered nobody to corroborate her.
她存有偏见,而且没有人能够证明她所说的是事实。
So why are we here?
那么我们在这里干什么?
The coronary joke made to the boyfriend, suspiciously coincidental, but that was something she said, not did, and she said it in jest. Let’s remember, there is no suggestion that either the boyfriend or the housekeeper took this remark seriously for a second.
对,她和她男朋友所说的关于心脏病的笑话,这符合猜测,但是她只是在说,她没有做,而且她是在开玩笑。让我们想一下,并没有迹象表明,她男朋友或者管家曾把这些话当回事。
If they did, why did they not contact the police?
如果他们真的相信了,为什么他们不联系警方?
There is simply no evidence that would allow you to conclude beyond all reasonable doubt that Kelly Nolan killed her husband, so why are we here?
这儿根本就没有证据可以让你们排除任何合理的怀疑而做出结论,认为Kelly Nolan杀了她的丈夫,那我们在这里干什么?
But as long as we are, what about the police?
但既然我们已经在这里了,那么警方那边怎么样?
They admittedly didn’t investigate any other theory, including suicide.
他们承认了根本就没有调查过其他的可能性,包括自杀。
You heard detective Richmond.
你们都听过了Richmond探员的证词。
They immediately focused on Kelly and only Kelly because she’s the one they wanted to get.
他们立即锁定了Kelly而且只锁定了Kelly,因为她是他们想要抓的人。
And I don’t know about you, but I certainly find it curious that the prosecution, instead of reprising evidence in his closing argument, chose to focus on my client’s testimonial demeanor.
我不知道你们怎么想的,但是我的确发现这个起诉人很奇怪,他不在结案陈词中强调证据,反而把焦点对准我当事人的言行举止。
What the hell is that?
这到底在搞什么?
He wants you to convict her of murder because she came off as cold in the witness chair.
他要你们定她的罪,因为她在证人席上表现得很冷淡。
I saw cold, too. But what I mainly observed was somebody who was rigidly unapologetic.
我也觉得她很冷淡。但我更在意的是某人有着严谨的辩词。
Well, wrongly accused people tend to be that way.
好吧,蒙冤错判的人一般都是这样子的。
How warm would any of you be if you were falsely accused of murder, if you were made sport of by the media, if your privacy was violated and naked pictures of you were posted in the internet?
如果你被错判谋杀,如果你被媒体所围堵,如果你的隐私被侵犯了,而你的裸照在网上到处都是,你们当中还有谁能够保持笑容?
People who are unrelentingly vilified tend to end up cold and hard.
遭到无情谩骂的人通常都会变得冷酷无情。
Kelly Nolan has emotionally shut down. She cannot feel, she cannot emote and she cannot fake vulnerability for the purpose of appealing to a jury’s sympathy.
Kelly Nolan关闭了她的情感之门。她不能感受,不能表达,而她也不能因为要获得陪审团的同情而假装孱弱。
She’s innocent, and she’s not required to prove it.
她是无辜的,而她不需要去证明这点。
Schadenfreude.
Schadenfreude(幸灾乐祸)。
From the German words schaden and freude, “damage” and “joy”.
这个词源于与德语的schaden and freude,意思是“毁灭”和“快乐”
It means to take spiteful, malicious delight in the misfortune of others.
它的意思是把自己的快乐建立在别人的痛苦不幸之上。
We used to dismiss this as simply an ugly side of human nature, but it is much, much more than that.
我们常把它归到人性的丑恶面之中,但是远远不止如此。
Recently, a Stanford professor actually captured schadenfreude on a brain scan.
最近斯坦福大学的一名教授在脑部扫描中发现了schadenfreude的存在。
It’s a physiological medical phenomenon.
这是一种生理现象。
When we see others fall, it sometimes causes a chemical to be released in the dorsal striatum of the brain, which actually causes us to feel pleasure.
当我们看到其他人失败,有时候大脑的背纹状体会产生一种化学物质使我们感到愉快。
If you watch the news or read the papers, which of course you don’t, because the judge said not to, but if you did, you would see the undeniable delicious joy of the media and the public over Kelly Nolan’s plight.
如果你们看到新闻或者读过报纸,当然你们不会,因为法官说了不允许,但是假设你们看过,你们会发现媒体和大众对Kelly Nolan所处的困境怀着一种难以抗拒的快感
I have no doubt that you want Kelly Nolan to be punished.
我不怀疑你们要Kelly Nolan受到惩罚。
She married for money. She had an affair. She carried on naked in the pool with her boyfriend. She’s cold, materialistic, unlikable.
她为钱结婚,他有婚外情。她赤身裸体和男朋友在泳池边嬉戏。她冷酷,无情,不讨人喜欢。
And it might bring you all pleasure to see her go to jail,
看到她进监狱也许会让你们所有人感到愉快,
but as for evidence to establish that she committed a murder beyond all reasonable doubt,
it just isn’t there.
但是作为能够排除所有合理怀疑裁定她谋杀罪名成立的证据,就是不存在。
The only possible route to a guilty verdict here is… schadenfreude.
而作出有罪裁决的唯一理由就是… schadenfreude.
Thank you.
谢谢!

我看了这段,真是觉得太酷了.感染力,口才,太绝了.一直就非常喜欢Alan的结案陈词.